[Home]  [Headlines]  [Latest Articles]  [Latest Comments]  [Post]  [Sign-in]  [Mail]  [Setup]  [Help] 

Status: Not Logged In; Sign In

Soros-Funded Dark Money Group Secretly Paying Democrat Influencers To Shape Gen Z Politics

Minnesota Shooter's Family Has CIA and DOD ties

42 GANGSTERS DRAGGED From Homes In Midnight FBI & ICE Raids | MS-13 & Trinitarios BUSTED

Bill Gates EXPOSED: Secret Operatives Inside the CDC, HHS, and NIH REMOVED by RFK, Jr.

Gabriel Ruiz, a man who dresses up as a woman was just arrested for battery (dating violence)

"I'm Tired Of Being Trans" - Minneapolis Shooter Confesses "I Wish I Never Brain-Washed Myself"

The Chart Baltimore Democrats Hope You Never See

Woman with walker, 69, fatally shot in face on New York City street:

Paul Joseph Watson: Bournemouth 1980 Vs 2025

FDA Revokes Emergency Authorization For COVID-19 Vaccines

NATO’s Worst Nightmare Is Happening Right Now in Ukraine - Odessa is Next To Fall?

Why do men lose it when their chicky-poo dies?

Christopher Caldwell: How Immigration Is Erasing Whites, Christians, and the Middle Class

SSRI Connection? Another Trans Shooter, Another Massacre – And They Erased His Video

Something 1/2 THE SIZE of the SUN has Entered our Solar System, and We Have NO CLUE What it is...

Massive Property Tax Fraud Exposed - $5.1 Trillion Bond Scam Will Crash System

Israel Sold American Weapons to Azerbaijan to Kill Armenian Christians

Daily MEMES YouTube Hates | YouTube is Fighting ME all the Way | Making ME Remove Memes | Part 188

New fear unlocked while stuck in highway traffic - Indian truck driver on his phone smashes into

RFK Jr. says the largest tech companies will permit Americans to access their personal health data

I just researched this, and it’s true—MUST SEE!!

Savage invader is disturbed that English people exist in an area he thought had been conquered

Jackson Hole's Parting Advice: Accept Even More Migrants To Offset Demographic Collapse, Or Else

Ecuador Angered! China-built Massive Dam is Tofu-Dreg, Ecuador Demands $400 Million Compensation

UK economy on brink of collapse (Needs IMF Bailout)

How Red Light Unlocks Your Body’s Hidden Fat-Burning Switch

The Mar-a-Lago Accord Confirmed: Miran Brings Trump's Reset To The Fed ($8,000 Gold)

This taboo sex act could save your relationship, expert insists: ‘Catalyst for conversations’

LA Police Bust Burglary Crew Suspected In 92 Residential Heists

Top 10 Jobs AI is Going to Wipe Out


World News
See other World News Articles

Title: Iran hits back after Trump claims it is planning Iraq attacks
Source: [None]
URL Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl ... ks/ar-BB125g5Q?ocid=spartanntp
Published: Apr 2, 2020
Author: Patrick Wintour
Post Date: 2020-04-02 20:42:42 by BTP Holdings
Keywords: None
Views: 81

Iran hits back after Trump claims it is planning Iraq attacks

Patrick Wintour Diplomatic editor 7 hrs ago

Iran’s military and diplomatic leadership has hit back at Donald Trump’s claims that its proxies were planning a sneak attack on US bases in Iraq, claiming Tehran only ever acts in self-defence and has no proxies in Iraq, only allies.

The US and Iran are already at loggerheads over the impact of US sanctions on Tehran’s ability to fight the coronavirus pandemic, and the threat of a military attack on the US is likely to widen the dispute. The Iranian army chief of staff, Mohammad Bagheri, said the recent spate of attacks on US bases in Iraq were nothing to do with Iran, but were “a natural response by the Iraqi people”. He said US forces were being closely monitored minute by minute and any US attack would produce the most severe response.

Trump on Wednesday said that Iran or its proxies planned a sneak attack on American targets in Iraq, prompting the Iranian foreign minister, Javad Zarif, to hit back, tweeting:

twitter.com/JZarif/status/1245592834175946754

It was not immediately clear what intelligence Trump had obtained to prompt him to issue his tweet on Wednesday, but he said: “Upon information and belief, Iran or its proxies are planning a sneak attack on U.S. troops and/or assets in Iraq. If this happens, Iran will pay a very heavy price, indeed!”

At a subsequent press conference he indicated the US’s likely target would be Kata’ib Hezbollah, saying the US had “very good information on the group planning the attack”. He added: “It was led by Iran, not necessarily Iran, but by groups supported by Iran, but that to me is Iran.”

Esmail Ghaani, head of Iran’s expeditionary Quds force, started a visit to Baghdad this week, the first since his predecessor Qassem Suleimani was killed by a US drone. Ghaani is hoping to unite the Shia factions, and the visit is seen as a test of whether he can match the famed influence of Suleimani.

Suleimani was killed on 3 January along with Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, founder of Kata’ib Hezbollah, at Baghdad airport, on the US president’s orders.

Three separate militia attacks in the span of a week have struck Camp Taji and Basmaya bases, killed three coalition servicemen, including two Americans, and a British servicewoman. Trump said the last US reprisals for those assaults had involved five separate attacks, if the US was ready to mount a bigger assault. In the past few days, the US announced the withdrawal of troops from several Iraqi military bases and their deployment to Ayn Al-Asad and other bases near Erbil in the Iraqi-Kurdish autonomous region.

The US has also been building its defences at the bases by installing Patriot missiles.

The confrontation comes as the president finds himself under growing domestic pressure to relax sanctions on Iran, with senior Democrats in Congress backing the call, as well as the former deputy national security adviser Ben Rhodes, and media such as the New York Times and the Washington Post.

Trump said he believed Iran wanted to make a deal, but had been given very bad advice by John Kerry, adding that the former US secretary of state had “violated the Logan Act 100%” . The Logan Act bars US citizens from unofficially negotiating with a foreign power with which the US is in dispute.

Trump said he thought Iran wanted a deal, and channels existed for it to negotiate such an agreement. He said: “Their economics are shot. They’ve got a lot of bad things going. I think they’d like to make a deal. They can get it settled very quickly. No nuclear weapons. They can’t have nuclear weapons. It’s very simple.”

The latest Iranian health ministry figures showed that the total number infected by coronavirus had reached 50,469, with the number of deaths now at 3,160. New infections in the past 24 hours stood at 2,875 – the fourth day of small declines in succession, and a possible sign that the disease may have peaked. There were 124 deaths in the previous 24 hours. The health ministry admitted it was not yet close to containing the disease, although in some provinces the number of recoveries was exceeding the number of new infections.

The Iranian president, Hassan Rouhani, said the government would decide on Sunday for how long to extend the current restrictions on travel and shops. In a prediction that contradicted his previous claim that the disease would be beaten within a fortnight he warned the disease may survive for months or even a further year.


Poster Comment:

Video at source.

Post Comment   Private Reply   Ignore Thread  



[Home]  [Headlines]  [Latest Articles]  [Latest Comments]  [Post]  [Sign-in]  [Mail]  [Setup]  [Help]