[Home] [Headlines] [Latest Articles] [Latest Comments] [Post] [Sign-in] [Mail] [Setup] [Help]
Status: Not Logged In; Sign In
Resistance See other Resistance Articles Title: Multiple Bomb Attacks Kill Four US Soldiers In Iraq Baghdad (eCanadaNow) - Four US soldiers have died in a multiple bomb attack in Iraq, the US military said Thursday, as meanwhile joint US and Iraqi forces continued to carry out an aggressive new security operation in Baghdad. An official statement said the four were killed Wednesday in Diyala province, north of Baghdad, after a number of explosive devices detonated close to their vehicles. Two other soldiers were wounded and taken to a coalition medical facility for treatment. At the same time, there were conflicting claims about the whereabouts of Shiite leader Muqtada al-Sadr. Samy al-Askari, an advisor to the Shiite Premier Nuri al-Maliki, said that al-Sadr was currently in Tehran but was soon due to return to Iraq. But the Sadr movement denied that its leader was in the Iranian capital, with MP Saleh al-Okeili stating, al-Sard is currently in Iraq. The denial came amid other claims by the movement that the reports about al-Sadr being in Tehran were an attempt by the US military, using rumours, to lure him from his hideout. MP Falah Hassan Shanshal, an Iraqi MP, was quoted in press reports as accusing the US military of provoking the Shiite Sadr movement to engage in a struggle. Shanshal told Al-Bayena newspaper - published by the Shiite militant Hezbollah movement in Iraq - that if the Sadr movement reacts against the US military, this will lead to the failure of the new Iraqi security plan. We call on parliament speaker Mahmoud al-Mashdani and premier Nuri al-Maliki to use this plan as a means to protect the Iraqi people, not to fight a certain sect, Shanshal said. That call came before Thursdays developments, when according to a US military statement Iraqi soldiers seized four suspected Sadr movement members while killing another in a raid in Suwaira. In Noamaniya, some 120 kilometres south of Baghdad, unknown attackers killed an Iraqi who had been working as a translator for the US forces, police sources said Thursday. At Ramadi, eight persons were killed in a suicide bomb attack. The new Iraqi security plan, suggested by al-Maliki, was officially launched on Tuesday. The plan aims to deploy up to 85,000 US and Iraqi troops on the streets of the capital in a bid to control the citys dangerous districts. It is intended to rein in the sectarian struggle that has engulfed Baghdad killing thousands of people last year. Hazam al-Zamli, a Sadr movement member, and deputy minister of health, had been earlier detained by the US-Iraqi forces from his office with no prior consent of the Iraqi government. Shanshal, meanwhile, called on the Iraqi government to stop such violations saying the movement decided to face such violations peacefully through diplomatic and political channels The Shiite Sadr movement, led by the radical Shiite clerk Moqtada al-Sadr, occupies 30 seats in the Iraqi parliament. Under the umbrella of the movement is the so-called Mahdi army, the largest armed militia in Iraq. © 2007 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur
Post Comment Private Reply Ignore Thread
|
||
[Home]
[Headlines]
[Latest Articles]
[Latest Comments]
[Post]
[Sign-in]
[Mail]
[Setup]
[Help]
|