The Michigan Republican Party chairman has changed his mind about trying to bar Ron Paul from future GOP presidential debates because of remarks the Texas congressman made that suggested the Sept. 11 attacks were the fault of U.S. foreign policy. Saul Anuzis said over the weekend that he won't circulate a petition among Republican National Committee members to ban Paul from more debates. At a GOP candidates' debate last week, Paul drew attacks from all sides when he linked the terror attacks to U.S. bombings.
``After consulting with my fellow RNC members, I believe there isn't anything to be gained by advancing a petition aimed solely at removing Congressman Paul from the debates,'' Anuzis wrote in his daily blog Saturday. ``The primary is and will continue to work itself out.''
Paul campaign spokesman Jesse Benton said Anuzis was right to reverse course, adding that banning Paul is ``very unpopular among the people.''
During the debate, Paul asked: ``Have you ever read about the reasons they attacked us? They attack us because we've been over there. We've been bombing Iraq for 10 years.''
GOP presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani rebuked Paul when he made the statement. Anuzis later called the comments ``off the wall and out of whack.''
Poster Comment:
Throw 'em bone...but Dr. Paul is well advised to avoid air travel...